The Maui Filipino Chamber of Commerce declared five exceptional Filipino leaders in the community to obtain the prestigious Gintong Pamana Leadership Award this calendar year, and fourteen students who are obtaining scholarships from the Chamber’s basis.
Due to the fact 1995, the Chamber has honored Filipino leaders of our local community with remarkable achievements and document in neighborhood provider in numerous fields. The awardees will be identified at the formal night banquet Gintong Pamana on Wednesday, July 13, 5:30 p.m. at the Maui Seaside Lodge.
The evening will characteristic supper, entertainment and inspirational remarks from the honorees. Tickets are at $75, and sponsorship tables are obtainable at mauifilipinochamber.com.
The Gintong Pamana Management Awardees:
Most recently, Takushi led the efforts as Chairperson for the Quincentennial anniversary (500 several years) of Christianity Celebration in the Philippines held on Maui, which was attended by hundreds of religious practitioners across the Point out. She served in numerous leadership capacities by means of many years of support for the Filipino Catholic Club, where by she been given the best recognition for her commitment and volunteerism. She is also a member of Maria Lanakila Church in Lahaina, wherever a further roster of a very long checklist of things to do increase to her fast paced program.
In the course of the pandemic, Nora was instrumental in the Bayanihan Food Push by the Binhi At Ani Filipino Neighborhood Center, exactly where she served as President. Her group dispersed foods aid to the group, supplying sustenance and hope during the most difficult situations of the pandemic. Nora fostered collaboration with multiple companies, sellers, and other volunteers. The Center also hosted vaccination drives, in addition to its scholarship and cultural packages, like the annual Barrio Fiesta.
But the most notable aspect in Nora’s management, in accordance to her friends, is her trustworthiness. “She normally takes on duties with a radiant smile, and her enthusiasm to give back again to the local community shines in her function. Furthermore, she will do the electrical slide with you, if you want a dance husband or wife,” the announcement mentioned.
Collins is an lawyer in non-public observe in Maui with a concentrate on very good government law, land legal rights and appellate follow. He also serves as a per diem district and loved ones court docket judge.
He gained his Ph.D. in Philippine Research from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa and formerly taught in the Ilokano Language and Literature Method there. He also earlier taught the Legal Clerk Certificate class at the University of Hawaiʻi Maui Higher education.
His researches on the legal historical past of the Philippines and of Hawaiʻi have been revealed in both of those as e-book chapters and as journal article content. He has also presented his analysis on well known Philippine lifestyle at numerous tutorial conferences.
He compiled and indexed the 17-quantity Proceedings of the Maui Charter Commission, 1964 – 2012 and edited Tourism Impacts West Maui, Social Improve in West Maui, Civil Culture in West Maui and Wondering about Targeted visitors in West Maui.
He previously served on the Maui County Liquor Management Adjudication Board and as chair of the 2021-2022 Maui County Constitution Commission.
He has generated quite a few musical albums which include, most not too long ago, Nā Hōkū Hanohano award finalist Kāwili — an album of Philippine folks tracks reinterpreted as Hawaiian mele.
While he has spouse and children all about the Philippines currently, his ancestors traditionally hailed from Batangas and Masbate.
Dr. Hokoana is the present-day Chancellor of the University of Hawaiʻi Maui School. He has supplied the leadership and assistance in the course of the ongoing Western Affiliation of Universities and Colleges accreditation process which is a environment-renowned accrediting association.
“While carrying out so, he produced sure the college remains deeply rooted in the local community, making certain that learners never give up on their desires, especially for upcoming generations of Native Hawaiians and Filipinos who seek out higher education and learning,” according to the announcement.
Through the pandemic, Dr. Hokoana manufactured guaranteed UH Maui University was involved in recovery and healing initiatives for the county. He collaborated with the County of Maui, Hawaiʻi National Guard, and the Section of Wellness to make sure thriving operations and missions had been operate at a superior level by giving the important resources, manpower, and technical help for screening, get hold of tracing, and vaccinations. “Important tactical operations for the community’s basic safety and properly-staying were being manufactured possible because of Lui’s involvement,” organizers mentioned.
Lui started his educational profession as a counselor, creating and managing grants such as the Kuʻina, Po’okela and Liko a’e grant. He was the Vice Chancellor of college student affairs at UH West Oʻahu and served several roles inside the UH Technique aiding protected thousands and thousands of bucks in county, condition, federal and non-public money.
- Arnold and Marjorie Magbual
This Magbual couple functions powering the scenes of Wailuku’s Four Sisters Bakery. They are well known for their butter rolls amid other delicious baked merchandise, their thanksgiving pumpkin pie drive, and neighborhood support by means of many fundraising partners.
They took above the bakery functions of the quaint yellow shop on Winery Avenue when Arnold’s mom and dad retired in 2004. “Today, the bakery is an iconic landmark and has develop into an integral section of the community’s cloth, which carries on to provide pleasure to people and people,” in accordance to the announcement.
Arnold remembers recollections functioning in the kitchen given that he was 11 decades outdated. Subsequent the footsteps of his dad, who was a Learn Baker at Pan De Manila and opened the bakery in 1983, Arnold graduated from then-Maui Community University with a culinary diploma. He worked as a baker at the Maui Intercontinental Resort and as a cook at the Grand Wailea Hotel.
Marjorie was a workers nurse formerly serving in a variety of capacities in the Philippines, Chicago and is now an RN at Kula clinic for 26 many years. She does this while encouraging operate kitchen area and front-of-property functions at Four Sisters Bakery, and with other elements of the organization.
This power pair elevated two little ones – Noah, who is a Masters graduate at Stanford, and Athen who will show up at New York University. The two are students of the Maui Filipino Chamber Foundation.
- Christina ‘Lucy’ Porte, RN, BSN
Christine ‘Lucy’ Porte is a Registered Nurse for about 40 years and is a Scientific Teacher for CNA Hawaiʻi Institute, LLC. She is the founding president of the Philippine Nurses Affiliation Maui Hawaiʻi Chapter, wherever she at this time serves as Govt Director and the Parliamentarian.
“Lucy feels most accomplished when she imparts awareness about nursing to her students,” according to the announcement.
In the course of the several years, Lucy has led and volunteered in a lot of community-constructing attempts, specially in the promotion of health care, these as the distribution of COVID take a look at kits and other educational products – concentrating on underserved communities.
Lucy is also passionate about correcting misinformation on COVID, especially in the Filipino neighborhood, and was a visitor in radio reveals. She has created legislative testimony to help construct potential in our communities, this kind of as extra dialysis chairs.
Eventually, as an advocate of right nourishment, Lucy also volunteers in lots of feeding applications to aid the homeless and the hungry.
She gained her nursing teaching and acquired her Associate Diploma in Nursing from the College of Hawaiʻi Maui School and pursued and finished her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the College of Phoenix.
As a St. Anthony High College alumna, she continues her faith formation via involvement at Christ the King Church. Lucy is mom to Phillip Campos, and grandmother to Eliana and Elliot, “the like of her lifetime.”
The 2022 Scholarship recipients:
- Jansen Chase Aceret – Jansen graduated from Maui High University and is the son of Lito and Lilia Aceret. He will be attending the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College to pursue nursing.
- Athena Mercedes Agcolicol Magbual – Athena graduated from Baldwin Superior College and is the daughter of Arnold and Marjorie Magbual. She will be attending New York College pursuing a pre-legislation plan.
- Marlon Basilio – Marlon graduated from Baldwin High School and is the son of Lamerto and Maricel Basilio. He will be attending the College of Hawaiʻi Maui University to go after a degree in pure science.
- Kristine Bonilla – Kristine graduated from Maui Significant University and is the daughter of Julio and Josephine Bonilla. She will be attending University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa to go after nursing.
- Jessica Mae Castillo – Jessica graduated from Maui Substantial Faculty and is the daughter of Ken and Mia Castillo. She will be attending University of Hawaiʻi Maui College or university to go after a degree in Used Company/Information and facts Engineering.
- Raymond Marko Galiza Tamayo – Raymond graduated from Maui Superior College and is the son of Raymond and Karen Tamayo. He will be attending the University of Hawaiʻi Maui Higher education to pursue nursing.
- Renzo James Garo Gaoiran – Renzo graduated from Maui Higher School and is the son of Richard and Lurlina Gaoiran. He will be attending the University of Nevada Las Vegas to pursue a diploma in civil engineering.
- Camille Haluber – Camille graduated from Maui Superior Faculty and is the daughter of Ferdinand and Merly Haluber. She will be attending the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College or university to pursue nursing.
- Almarie Idnay – Almarie graduated from Lahainaluna Large College and is the daughter of Al and Maricon Idnay. She will be attending the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa to go after a diploma in biology.
- Dustin Metzler Jr. – Dustin graduated from King Kekaulike High College and is the son of Aris and Sharon Zalsos Banaag. He will be attending the University of Hawaiʻi Maui Higher education to go after business .
- Kyra Cabanilla Ong – Kyra graduated from Maui Superior University and is the daughter of Rolando and Vilma Ong. She will be attending Bates College or university in Maine to go after a degree in biology and drugs.
- D’Marco Rabang – D’Marco graduated from Maui Large University and is the son of Chris and Celeste Rabang. He will be attending the College of Nevada Las Vegas to pursue a degree in hospitality management.
- Lennel Joy Felix Alvarez – Lennel is a current scholar at the College of Hawaiʻi Maui Higher education pursuing nursing. She strategies to transfer to the College of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa to progress her degree.
- Remy Romo-Valdez – Remy is a current college student at the College of Hawaiʻi Maui Higher education pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Sustainable Science Administration.